This week, The Waterways Journal, which has published continuously from St. Louis, Mo., since 1887, continues its long association with the Gateway to the West—but from a new address. The publication’s main offices are relocating from the sixth floor of 319 North 4th Street, in the Security Building in downtown St. Louis, a distinctive red-brick building visible from the river.
The Security Building had been the publication’s home since 1976, when the offices moved from another office building at 8th and Olive streets. The WJ had lived in various offices in that building since the publication was taken over by Capt. Donald T. Wright of Oil City, Pa., in January 1921. The Waterways Journal also has correspondents in Paducah, Ky., and New Orleans, La., along with remote employees and freelance writers in other locations. During the COVID-19 pandemic, most Waterways Journal employees worked from home. In the year 2021, “central business location” doesn’t mean what it meant in 1921.
The new location is 8820 Ladue Road, Suite 301, St. Louis, Mo. 63124.
The new offices are about 15 minutes away from the University of Missouri’s Herman T. Pott National Inland Waterways Library, part of the Mercantile Library collection, which features a complete set of bound volumes of The Waterways Journal, along with many important books, documents and artifacts relating to the history of the inland waterways. A large collection of historical photographs that were in the WJ offices will now be housed at the Pott library.
Phone numbers for all Waterways Journal staffers—including our main number, 314-241-7354—remain the same, as does our “virtual address” on the internet, www.waterwaysjournal.net.