Christening at Kansas City on May 9, 1955, from May 14, 1955, issue of the WJ. (Photo from the author’s collection)
News

The Kansas City Was Built For The Missouri River

Sioux City and New Orleans Barge Lines, Inc. (SCNO) was formed in the early 1950s for the purpose of towing between those two cities, with an emphasis on the Missouri River. Even though Sioux City, Iowa, and New Orleans, La., were the focal points of the company name, it was headquartered in Houston, Texas.

SCNO was formed by a group of men named Parker. Capt. David D. Parker was president of the concern and associated with him were four other Parkers who were not related to him. These men were Briscoe K., Robert H., George W. and William R. Parker. The four Parker brothers owned the Parker Bros. Shipyard, located on Greens Bayou in Houston, that built the early boats for SCNO.

The first boat built for SCNO was the Sioux City, which Parker Bros. turned out in 1953. It was soon followed the same year by the Omaha. These boats were 130 by 34 feet and had 1,800 hp. from two GM 12- 567 engines. These vessels settled into their intended trade on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers and performed well.

The success of the two earlier boats prompted SCNO to build a third towboat for the Missouri River run. The May 7, 1955, issue of The Waterways Journal carried a short piece on the masthead page that the new SCNO boat was making its maiden voyage and had passed by St. Louis on April 30. Also built by Parker Bros. at Houston, it was named Kansas City and was to be christened in that namesake city on May 7. The article said that the “gleaming white boat” was 140 by 38 feet.

The new Kansas City had picked up a tow of 7,500 tons of molasses at New Orleans, dropped 3,500 tons at St. Louis and was to deliver the balance to Nebraska City, Neb., on the Missouri. The boat was similar in design and appearance to the earlier two boats, but slightly larger in hull size and had 3,200 hp. from a pair of GM 16-278A engines. It was equipped with RCA radiotelephone and radar equipment (radio call sign WG 2386) and had a specially designed steering system.

As the River Otter upbound at Ohio River Mile 448.5 on July 25, 1997. (Photo courtesy of Capt. Bill Judd)
As the River Otter upbound at Ohio River Mile 448.5 on July 25, 1997. (Photo courtesy of Capt. Bill Judd)

The May 14, 1955, issue of the WJ had a story detailing the christening of the new Kansas City. The ceremony took place on May 9, rather than May 7, as had been previously reported. The event took place at the city of Kansas City as the boat was downbound after having delivered the molasses tow to Nebraska City. A separate story on the same page described the “tough bout” that the boat had faced on the difficult Missouri during the initial trip. One grounding at St. Joseph. Mo., had cost several hours and the assistance of some Corps of Engineers vessels to get off ground and rebuild tow.

The May 9 christening, though two days late, was well attended. The Kansas City laid at a U.S. Engineers dock, and guests were greeted by SCNO President Capt. David D. Parker, who had been aboard for the upbound trip. The vessel sponsor was Mrs. Frank A. Theis, whose husband was the president of the Simonds-Shields-Theis Grain Company. The Kansas City was thoroughly described as having a crew of 12 housed in air-conditioned quarters. It had a draft of only 5.5 feet and had cost a reported $400,000.

Like the Sioux City and Omaha, it had a decidedly squarish appearance with a full main cabin, a shorter second cabin and a pilothouse atop that. Twin stacks were on the roof behind the upper cabin, and about the sole break from the overall square appearance was a curved slope at the sides of the rudder deck at the after end of the main cabin. A unique feature was a spud installed on the bow that could be dropped if the tow ran aground, keeping the boat off of the bank.

The Kansas City was a Missouri River mainstay for many years. At some point before 1968, the boat was rebuilt, and the pilothouse was raised one deck higher. In 1978, it was sold to Hollinger Transportation, Inc., Greenville, Miss., and renamed Mr. Clyde Dunlap. In 1979 it was sold to H&S Transportation Company Inc., Nashville, and, in 1982, it was sold to Mays Marine Service, Clinton, Ky., and renamed Sherry
K. Mays.

Capt. Edward C. “Red” Mays repowered the boat with a a pair of GM 16-567DE2 engines, still of 3,200 hp., added an enclosed rudder room at the stern and dressed the upper cabins up with slope sheets. In 1986, it was sold to Tolen Marine, Inc., Paducah and named Linda L. Tolen. In 1997, it was sold to Excell Marine Corp.., Cincinnati and renamed River Otter. In 2004, it was sold to UABL and taken to South America.

Featured photo caption: Christening at Kansas City on May 9, 1955, from May 14, 1955, issue of the WJ. (Photo from the author’s collection)