NMC Announces Exam Changes
The National Maritime Center (NMC) in Martinsburg, W.Va., posted a bulletin to its website announcing the following changes to the mariner examination process at its Regional Exam Centers (RECs). The changes are due to take effect April 6.
• Walk-in services for examinations will no longer be offered. All examinations must be scheduled at least two business days in advance. After receiving a letter from the NMC indicating the mariner is approved to test, he or she may schedule an examination appointment by:
1. Using the Schedule Exam/REC Appointment link on the Examinations page of the NMC Website.
2. Calling the NMC Contact Center at 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662).
3. Contacting the NMC Contact Center by chat.
• All RECs will have two examination periods daily, a 3-1/2-hour morning session and a 3-1/2-hour afternoon session, with a minimum 30-minute break between sessions. See the REC webpage for specific hours.
• Mariners who finish a module early may take additional modules during an examination period but will not be given additional time to complete the extra modules. Requests for additional modules during a specific examination period are coordinated with the REC staff.
• There will be no changes to the First Class Pilot examination process.
• Appointments are highly recommended for all other services. See the REC webpage for facility access requirements.
For more information, visit Examinations or Frequently Asked Questions on NMC’s website or contact the NMC Customer Service Center by e-mailing IASKNMC@uscg.mil, by using the NMC online chat system, or by calling 1-888-IASKNMC (427-5662).